16.2.08

My American Adventure

So here I am, sitting at the airport in Chicago. I feel tired, one look at my watch, it’s 00:23 my time, I am literally sleepwalking! It started to snow, just as we were landing and now cars, planes and people are covered in white. I am glad to be inside and be able to stretch my legs for a while. The sound of the motors, my companion for the past 12 hours, is making me tired too, and yet, I am waiting for one more flight. To Atlanta. Oh my gosh: I am so excited to finally get there. I have wanted to go to the States since I was 16 and now, I am in Chicago. Yeah baby!
People are walking around, and it’s not a cliché, most of them have a Starbucks cup in their hands. Me included. The first thing I saw when I entered the airport, was a sign: STARBUCKS. One dilemma though: should I go to the one on my left or the one on my right? =) In Bern, there is one Starbucks… sad, sad.
My Tall Latte with Caramel Syrup will have to wait though. People are getting up and looking around, they seem nervous… I’ll soon know why! Ratatouille’s cousin is running under the seats and scaring them off. Hilarious! She must be waiting for her flight back to Paris…

We are about to land in Atlanta. The city is a sparkling sea of colorful lights and the view is breathtaking. I am almost there!! The tiredness, unwelcome at this point, disappears leaving me almost bouncing up and down. My legs have almost forgotten what “walking” means, my 24 hour journey is about to end. Thank you Lord, it went all well!

The first week has been just amazing. The people I am staying with are very nice, they are also Salvation Army Officers and I drive with them to the Corps (Church) every day. I eat every day in a different restaurant, Mr. Pibb, Dr. Pepper and Root beer (no alcohol there guys, no worries) are my new favorite drinks and I almost get used to the fact that e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g is deep-fried. There are so many Fast-food restaurants, it’s just crazy. My favorite so far: Sonic. It’s where I ate for the first time in my life (and not the last, that’s for sure) cheesecake bites and you guessed it, they were deep-fried. With caramel-cinnamon sauce. My my my…

On Tuesday I went to Songsters and sang “What a Friend we have in Jesus” with them, later Band practice. Somewhat smaller then our Band in Bern, but it was great! When I got “home” we ate Korean bread and drunk hot chocolate. It was pouring outside and everyone was hoping for snow. It hasn’t snowed for 7 years in Atlanta… And I wouldn’t mind if it didn’t for at least another month =)
On Wednesday I helped the Officer to prepare a Power Point Presentation… in Korean. Don’t ask me how I did it… but it worked!! Later I cooked Jamaican Chicken with Hazel, she is just great, man! We’re almost ready for the people to come in and eat when it starts snowing. Oh my gosh! People are going crazy, Kinds are running around all excited and the Staff is thinking about canceling all the activities for the evening. (Jessica, you must think we’re weird [me? Nooo…cough.. yeah.. cough nooo] But snow is a big deal here in the South. We are not used to it and people get so scared they all run to Wall Mart and buy bread and milk in case they were to be stuck in their house for weeks. [Ok, this is CRAZY… but I get it =)]

On Thursday I leave with the other Officer to pick up the Worship Band from the airport. We’ll then all go to Shocco Springs, Alabama, where ROOTS is taking place.
The band leader is… Graham Kendrick. Oh my! I cannot wait to meet him…

The Weekend has been amazing, it was freezing, but the meetings were very good and I loved the Worship Moments. The Lord really touched my heart during this few days and we all had a great time and felt the Lord was with us, blessing us and our conversations and talking to each one of us. So often we think that worship is something that happens at some point when really it should be an ongoing attitude in our lives.

Now, my second week has started and I look forward to all the things that are going to happen.
I am really enjoying my time here! It’s all so… so… American =)
Greetingzzz to Chris, Misha and Dani =)

No comments: